Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Little Tidbits

Since my last post, I've thought of a few amusing tidbits to capture here. Nothing majorly noteworthy has occurred, as I am still unemployed minus tutoring twice a week and teaching once a week. Yes, I started teaching an acting class Thursday evenings. My group of students is great so it will be fun to have another drama class but it also happens to take place in South Austin, which in traffic is no small jaunt. I think I'll make a habit of heading towards that part of town early and perching nearby before rush hour strikes.

I had to get fingerprinted as part of the many hoops I must jump (and pay) through "on the road" to teacher certification. I use that cliched phrase because my alternative certification program uses it. Frequently. I must say, however, fingerprinting wasn't as annoying an errand as I had surmised. The building was easy to get to and I didn't have to wait for my turn. Lastly, and this detail is odd but true, the process of fingerprinting is a bit like a hand massage. In order to digitally capture the most accurate reading, each finger must be rolled against the scanner. Case in point.

In other news, the first day of fall was aptly marked by chilly weather and bouts of rain. I loved it, avoided the heater, and eagerly look forward to the fall weather returning, this time to stay awhile! Also during this lovely turn of weather, I spotted the neighborhood cat curled up into a cold, sleepy ball on the lawn chair in the backyard, seeking refuge from the rain on the covered patio. It was quite cute.

I had my first substitute teaching job recently and made a whopping $10/hour. Science to 2nd graders and English/Reading to 5th graders at a private school. Tomorrow morning, I become Gym Teacher for a few hours. Haha. Sigh...

Matt had to go out of town again for work recently, boo on that! I always miss him when he is gone, and these feelings are only reinforced by hearing all kinds of things at night. Such as when it is windy, our shed door in the backyard makes noise. Such a pleasant noise... However, I would like to say that I can be okay by myself at night. I was mostly okay in an apartment, but a house is a bit different, I suppose. Me and my overactive imagination.

One of the nights that Matt was out of town, I knew it was an hour later and didn't want him to go to bed without hearing "goodnight" and so forth from me. I sent him a text literally to the minute that he sent me an email of the same nature. Sadly, he did not see my text until that morning, but the fact that we were thinking the same still makes me smile. I love that man. :)

I have been very busy with improv rehearsals in preparation for performing during October. Lots of three hour rehearsals and practicing our troupe format are tiring, but I can see myself improving both in confidence, instincts, and focus. I have lots more to go, or shall I say room for mooooooooooore growth, but it's a great group of people to rehearse/play/work/perform with and I am enjoying it. We had our photo shoot the other day and it was really fun. Yay for finally getting to act again. It has been too long.

That's it for now!

1 comment:

Traci said...

You have a lot on your plate, Miss Amira. Rock out on that improv, enjoy that new house and your sweet, sweet man.