Saturday, April 23, 2005

Reluctant Traveler and the Search for Mod Podge

You know how sometimes you lie awake at night and toss and turn before you fall asleep? I do. I used to sleep really well, but not these days. I’ve always slept better on my twin-size Rice bed than my full-size bed at home. And at Rice, I had jersey sheets and a soft, fluffy comforter. I also don’t need all this space – I curl up on the edge of the bed. I’ll bet my chaotic, messy room doesn’t help my Feng Shui either. Whatever the case, too oft lying down is a cue to my mind to shift into high gear, rather than let go and drift into dreamlike state. I am a reluctant traveler, taking the backseat to my mind, which drags me across previous and imagined happenings; there are no pit stops inside my overactive and eager imagination.


Last night, as my head hit the pillow, beneath closed lids, my mind went over the phone interview with Seattle Repertory Theatre that took place earlier that day. While I tossed and turned, vying for sleep, my mind responded to interview questions, this time showing me what I should have said. Then it generated questions to ask the current Education intern there, and began drafting an email. Yes, I do mentally write emails when I should be falling asleep. And this time, like many others, the email was turning out really well. I actually considered getting up to type it out but my body strongly objected. Another toss and I was visualizing the webpages for Seattle Repertory Theatre VS. McCarter Theatre. (Seattle Rep won out in my head.) Anyhow, my mind finally sided with my body and I fell asleep.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been itching to do something fine artsy for a long time now, and this urge finally was realized today. I was always impressed and intrigued by the collages my friend Helene made on CDs with this Mod Podge stuff. And at Milam House, I was surrounded by artistic people who were always working on neat projects. I wanted to play! But I didn’t even know where to start; what to buy. I’ve been working on cutting out words and images from magazines to make a collage for Christa (birthday present) and for my mom (Mother’s Day is a-coming). Now I have a nice collection that represents who they are to me, and it’s time for the next step; I went to Texas Art Supply today.


I don’t think I’ve ever felt more clueless! Entering the store, though I’d been before, is overwhelming. Last time, I’d been with someone who understood this place. To me, it’s a toy store of fun but inexplicable instruments. It is the equivalent of a young boy trying to deduce the function and use of an eyelash curler, or anyone seeing a computer for the first time. I figure I can at least find the Mod Podge on my own, so I head for the glue section… Turns out it’s in Ceramics. I finally find a nice guy to help me, so after he shows me that I ask about brushes, what kind of surfaces I can use, etc. Armed with brushes and MP, we look at canvases and he asks how I plan to cover it. (“With the collage stuff I cut out,” I’m thinking, “what else?”) He suggests wrapping paper or paints. This is exciting! I can PAINT. And the glue stuff is strong enough to hold a light amount of weight – I can glue STUFF to the canvas! Hold me back. I thank him profusely, then look for paint. Oh, but there are paints in many different aisles, and I realize I’m once again hopelessly confused. To him, this must be like being stopped in the grocery store and asked, “Where is the food?” Nevertheless, I track him down again and we find acrylic paint. He tells me how to do all this cool stuff with it, too! Then I find glitters that I like and proceed to check out. Mission: complete. Painting antics and glue shenanigans To Be Continued…

No comments: