Monday, December 5, 2005

Soup for Me!

Random Restaurant Recommendation


I went to The Soup Man today. I've had my eye on this little shop ever since the sign went up in the deserted window and now I needed some lovin' for my tummy. Princeton, now privy to the very restaurant featured in Seinfeld - the Soup Nazi episode! When I stepped inside the small store, it was crowded. I was a bit nervous waiting in line even, haha. I hadn't decided what I wanted yet and didn't want to hold up the line when it got to me. There was a funny sign with an arrow pointing one way that said, "Soup for you," and an arrow the other way with "No soup for you!" The meaning was lost on me. I successfully ordered a bowl of chicken barley soup. I got to try it first! It came with bread, an apple, and minty chocolate. The soup was incredible; I ate it all.


Desultory Musings (yeah, GRE word!)

I am a uniquely weird creature. I now own a Strawberry Shortcake phone that isn't even wireless. But it has Caller ID and, strawberry numberpads, and flowers that light up when someone calls. I also finally found my favorite deodorant scent, Watermelon, so I bought 4 containers because I think it was only a summer scent....The Tic-Tac-Toe playing chickens were mentioned on a Friends episode I saw the other day! I'll never forget playing Tic-Tac-Toe with one at a rest stop when I was little; a true Southern experience!..It snowed last night, first major snowfall of the season. I roamed about a bit this morning and reveled in the brightness that lushly covered, well, everything, including my car!..I blasted my humidifier and slept 11 hours last night. I really want to just burrow under covers and hibernate. I now own the softest blankets, and they lure me away from waking life. I'm not sure how I feel about the Northeast these days. It's COLD. And dark so early. Who wants to deal with this? Winter is a fat part of the year in these here parts, mmm hmm. We'll see how I fare, I s'pose...Devon, the Marketing intern, introduced me to the best salad ever. She graduated from Princeton, so she knows their princety ways. The student center has a lunch special, medium salad with 5 ingredients and a soda for $3.95. You can get chick peas, swiss cheese, sprouts, broccoli, tofu, kalamata olives...and the best balsamic vinaigrette. I am addicted to this salad...Oh, I've started cooking! And only one casualty so far. Yes, I burned myself yesterday because I have my mother's logic but it was tiny and is already fine today. I'm trying not to eat out much, even to Subway. (Sidenote: they know me by name at the Subway by my home.) Needless to say, what has my diet been? Spaghetti, eggs, and grilled cheese. The other day, I boldly tried to make a cheese omelette. It looked atrocious - runny, crisp, and messy. But it tasted fine, yes, I ate it. I've realized if I add just a tiny bit of milk and scramble the eggs for a long time in a deep pot, they taste just like Nana used to make them for me, when I was about 10. I was really happy when I figured out how to make it smell like being with her...I love my heater. It gets so cold in my room! A hot shower and then blowdrying my hair is also a tried and true way to warm myself up, as well as lots of hot tea and cocoa. I bought the Cocoa Classics set from Sam's so I can have chocolate and mint, cinnamon, hazelnut, raspberry, caramel, fudge, supreme, etc. It is all very exciting...Heather, one of my housemates, taught me how to make French toast so maybe I'll make it on my own sometime...McCarter is great. Challenging and sometimes stressful, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. :) It's nice to come back to that thought when they're so much going on! A while back, it rained a ton and not realizing it floods Rice University-style, I attempted to walk to work and save gas money. (1/2 mile) I had waterproof raingear for all but my shoes. They didn't fare so well; I wore my socks at work all day. And of course, this was bright pink with white and silver starts sock day. In almost no other setting than in a theatre do people compliment you on your socks as you roam around the building! It was beautiful. You're probably thinking, way to stick out as a crazy intern, Amira. I now own snow boots so my feet stay dry and I don't fall on my face walking to work in snow/sleet. Classes are going really well for me. I am confident in the classroom again, and have truly earned that feeling. Last week in my Creative Dramatics class with 2-3rd graders, we did an imagination journey with them and my co-teacher had us be giant frogs. Then, I became a wise old owl. Kids are so accepting of pretend, they were asking me if I'd be teaching classes again with them. It was adorable...I will be in Houston, finally, during the last week of December and I can't wait! It'll be nice to be home for a while, see everyone, cuddle with my dog, and escape the cold...I watched a few minutes of technical rehearsal for A Christmas Carol last Friday and I'm excited to see the show on Tuesday. (and a million other times for all the student matinees about to take over my life). The set I saw was meticulous and the lighting was pretty ambitious. Apparently, the set designer and choreographer are both highly esteemed. Well, there is much more to update on my life, but it's getting late and my hair is wet and cold - time to use the blowdryer trick to warm up the room.

No comments: