Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bridging the Gap

Goodness.  It's been nearly three years since I last posted.  I guess at the time I decided I had nothing to say.  Sure, interesting things happened, but how do you phrase them to be insightful and not rambling?  Or, I just got really busy.  All I know is 1) I may still have nothing of interest to say but I'm going to attempt to at least amuse myself and reflect, and 2) I am not in Princeton anymore!

In Jan/Feb 06, I interviewed at UT-Austin and ASU for MFA programs in Theatre Education.  I disliked my experience at ASU so much that I decided I'd already wasted about $300 to get there and back, might as well save the $50 application fee I had purposely not sent in yet.  I was told I wouldn't hear from UT until maybe April but lo and behold, I received a phone call on February 14 from Sharon Grady asking me to join the program.  I ran outside the theatre after missing a call from a 512 area code and guessing it just might be UT.  Then I proceeded to jump up and down like a little kid.  I was so excited.  

This is the second Valentine's Day in which I've received wonderful news, though neither were romantic news, ironically enough.  On February 14, 2002 I was told before my Leadership Rice class by Susan Lieberman that I would be spending my summer interning for Youth Venture in Washington, DC.  I beamed like a madwoman during the rest of that class!  I saved the jumping up and down for later.  ;)

So anyhow, my admission to UT meant that after completing my year-long internship at McCarter, I headed back to Texas.  I taught at Main Street Theatre's summer theatre camp in Houston and then relocated to Austin for the next three years.  Throughout my time in Princeton, Houston, and Austin (so far), A LOT has happened, naturally, but that information will come in time.  Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

Now, this post finds me in my thesis year--third and last year of the program!  I've been lucky enough to stay in the same apartment, which I really like, and to stay in the program, which is always a good thing.  I've adopted weird habits, like studying all the time and starting to really enjoy it, and craving odd things like vegetables, carrot juice, and mangoes.  When my apartment gets messy, it actually bothers me.  I know how to cook a few things.  And I have no idea where I will be living next year.

I'm going to tuck in soon so I'll leave it at that for now.  Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

Natalia Alma said...

Nice 3 year summary if you ask me. :)