Thursday, October 9, 2008

My New Junk Food

The other day when I needed some cheering up, I bought a bag of Chili Cheese fritos before class. During break, as I munched on one of my favorite guilty snacks, which I rarely let myself buy anymore, I was surprised to find no satisfaction in eating them, no enjoyment. It wasn't that I was obessing about calories or health. They simply didn't taste as good as they used to. I'd noticed that when I grabbed Wendy's recently. I still got excited by walking past the familiar red lettering of the restaurant joint sign and picking up my fried goodness. But when I ate it, I didn't enjoy it that much. And I definitely didn't enjoy it afterwards, when I was sooo full! Same goes with macaroni and cheese which I actually do still adore--after the fact, my stomach isn't so happy.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely get immense satisfaction from good food. I fondly adopt the Central Market phrase and call myself a foodie. :) So it stands to reason that after my class the other day, I decided to cheer myself up by grabbing some Central Market a la carte goodies. I stuffed myself on a mango/papaya/banana smoothie blended with apple lemon ginger juice, and a few munches from a smorgasbord of mushroom and goat cheese quesadilla, almond-crusted tilapia, organic whipped maple sweet potatoes, broccoli with pesto sauce, and four grain rice with cranberries... (Yeah, I wasn't messing around with my hunger.) And I enjoyed it immensely!

My new junk foods, comfort foods, are that as well as organic apple cider with cinnamon, dark chocolate with lavender and honey ganache, mangoes, carrot and grapefruit juices, natural root beer, peas... I've always been specific about things, but my tastes are definitely changing. I read an article about how if you stick to changing your diet, after a few weeks you can actually reset your food cravings. This was mentioned in the scholarly journal......Allure. Hehe. But I do think there must be some truth to this, and also simply to studies that show how taste in food changes every few years. I don't even crave candy all the time these days. Crazy, I know.

Being the nostalgic dork that I am, I couldn't help but incorporate junk food into my repertoire for reflection. In conclusion, goodbye ye junk food of olde. Hello to a new, mostly healthier, "junk food" set of preferences.


1 comment:

Emily Gilliam said...

Yea, you have a blog! Pretty, too!

I totally hear ya. Some of those old satisfying habits are suddenly ick, if I gather the urge to indulge for nostalgia's sake. I was crazy hungry the other day, but could not, would not consider feeding my baby fast food (Chick-fil-A is my exception), even though I used to eat it, a few years back. However, I had no qualms about drinking wine (red, and maybe an ounce) later that day. That's so twisted compared to how I'm sure many moms would react. Wine? Ack!!! McBurger? Okay, in moderation.

Love the mushroom/goat cheese quesadillas, and you know I love that apple lemon ginger juice! I ordered some at the smoothie counter the other day, and the guy said "it's not pasteurized, is that okay?" I said, "yes, because it's really fresh." :)