Friday, October 10, 2008

Fun with Photo Booth and Other Tales

Today was a fabulous day!  It's the first full day in a while where I haven't had to do anything specific.  No meetings, no class, no thesis residencies, no appointments, no immediate school due dates.  Just me left to my own devices...  So what do I do?  For one, I discovered Photo Booth on my Mac and had great fun taking photos and playing around with backgrounds.  It started out because I miss the fall season and wish I were in or near NYC so I could wear long sleeves and scamper around the city and Central Park, warm drink in hand, changing leaves everywhere...  I dragged a photo of Princeton

 taken in the fall into the program, turned on my webcam, and VOILA--thanks to computer technology, it looked like I was there!   Then I got caught up in the fun of Photo Booth, haha.  For your viewing pleasure, mischief on an imaginary roller coaster, with fish, in Salamanca, Spain, poking Earth,  and being cold in the Swiss Alps (I took the Spain and Switzerland photos!).  There are others, including the fall one, but these are my favorites.

When I wasn't being completely useless, I ran some errands.  I picked up narcotics at CVS so should my coughing-induced asthma rear its ugly head, I will have fiercely strong counterattack.  This medicine can actually suppress the part of my brain that gets the urge to cough  so that will stop being communicated to my throat while the medicine takes effect.  I think it's fascinating that it can do that and
isolate to just that region.  My hydrocodone is also found in drugs such as Valium, and that explains why when I take the stuff, I feel pretty euphoric.  Fortunately, I only need it about twice a year.  I had to take it just before/during this year's Austin City Limits and that wasn't so fun, because I really needed it.  It gave me relief, but it also gave me a bit of lightheadedness and nausea.

So back to my visit to CVS, I also picked up sunblock in 85 SPF.
85?  Neutrogena must think I'm gullible to believe I can be protected this much!  This part of my visit amused me as well, and yes I picked the stuff 
                                                    up.  I checked the ingredients and as you get
higher from 30, the amount of active ingredients does increase a bit.  Maybe I'll get even paler, though that's hardly possible.  :)

Then I headed to Starbucks to get some work done as well as write in cards for friends that I picked up at CVS.  I love card-writing, and it's been a while since I've written anyone.  It is always a highly enjoyable task for me.

I watched an anticipated The Office this evening but it was quite the weird episode and I was expecting another hour episode.  When thirty minutes in, SNL came back after a commercial I was very confused.  I had no idea the show had ended.  Part of that is the nature of The Office, but it really did seem to end rather abruptly for me.  Oh, well.

I also called my long-lost roomie Sarah, who is studying abroad in Spain, on the phone today.  I dialed a local number, it connected me to Spain, and she answered.  Amazingly immediate, yet so far away!

Now, it's time to return to my research.  And that is not an image that needs to go to Photo Booth!

No comments: