Monday, June 27, 2005

Williamstown, Sweet Williamstown

OUCH. Only I can manage to cut the inside of my mouth while drinking bottled water. And I still can't seem to master shaving my legs. However, I have cool The Incredibles bandaids for that - they came with the Neosporin I bought for my ineptness. "Tattoo waterproof" with sides clear so only the cartoon shows up. Bandaids aren't what they used to be. Neither are Barbies for that matter. They used to be simple - Pizza barbie, shop Barbie, hair crimper Barbie. But...American Idol Barbie in a hoochie outfit?? It's sad really.


Anyhow, I didn't want to make my blog too journal-like so I don't think this entry is superinteresting- but perhaps I'll feel like being creative next time. :P Everything is great. My little dorm room in Gladden is nice, with a view of lots of trees out the window. I don't understand why the curtains weren't designed to close all the way, but hopefully I'm not flashing people. I try to cover one corner of the windows and change on that side, haha. The bathrooms are coed and I'm the only girl, so there's the careful covering of the shower curtain. But I can't complain -- I never have to wait to use the restroom or shower! I met one of my suitemates in the bathroom -- we got to know each other while I rinsed raspberries and he brushed his teeth. I have adjusted my fridge once and for all, but it was on too cold a setting at first and everything in it got kinda frozen. I can't even refrigerate my food properly, much less cook it?? What the heck? Hehe. For our all company meeting, it was awesome to be in the new 50 million dollar theatre with hundreds of other theatre people - interns everywhere, plus staff members, apprentices, actors...and Roger Rees, artistic director, speaking to all of us. I've since met him personally. I also recently went to non-equity auditions. They're level 3 (highest) in actor training program here so they were amazing and so much fun to watch. WOW.


The past few days have been COLD! It is fantastic. Lots of long walks were had. And my wanting to do arts projects recently...well, I'm getting what I asked for, for better or for worse, since I'll be drawing, cutting, and coloring Greylock project props (hopefully apprentices who can draw will help out as part of their crew duties). I met Laurie Sales who is involved in McCarter Theatre's Education department and also a rock star - lots of directing, playwriting, teaching, and acting experience and she's here as directing assistant, right now for Moises Kauffman. Anyhow, I introduced myself to her and she said everyone at McCarter can't wait to meet me in September and that the staff are leaving little welcome messages on my desk. Warm fuzzies. :)


I am on a normal sleep schedule, finally. I go to bed at a decent time and am able to wake up early. Woohoo, it has been done! And it is just beautiful here!!! I am going to climb Mt. Greylock at some point, it's the highest peak in Mass. at a little over 3,000 ft. And I want to hike part of the Appalachian trail since it runs through here. Basically, this is like the feeling I get when I get into Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado (for all the summers I've come with my family, who are going without me this summer!) Except instead of marveling at the beauty of nature for a week of camping, I am LIVING here for two months. Every time I walk up a hill and see mountains, or when I'm driving on a mountain road with these views...it's like a dream.


I love the people I work with everyday for Greylock and everyone I've met seems really nice. I also get to pretend I'm a dramaturg for a while! I'm reading plays for the Literary Department's New Plays area and writing short evaluations, and getting paid to do it! Sounds good to me. I bought the Williams Outdoors Club hiking guide at Water St. Books, a charming store. The people here are so friendly! I was at the "Where'd You Get That?" store, which has awesome toys for adults (the innocent kind, silly!), and I found a birthday gift for a friend but didn't the mailing address with me. I had a few other things to buy, but the lady couldn't add in shipping costs until she had the address. So she told me to go ahead and take everything else and I could return with the address and pay then. I was shocked, then relishing the fact that they actually trust people here. Small town tales.


So Greylock Teen Ensemble. Today was our first day and it was tough and trying. Only 5 of the 10 kids could be herded in and they were a handful. It was also over 90 degrees and we were outside the whole time, but at least in the shade. It was hard to get the kids to participate. I returned to my room and took a cold shower. It was about 85 degrees in my room according to my travel clock. All I wanted to do was collapse on my bed and waste the rest of the day! But I'll try to drag myself out for a walk later this evening. I sure hope tomorrow goes better. Though on the brighter side of things, when we started writing after lunch, things got better. I sat with a girl named Jessica and she did some really good work. She was one of the few to actually share it all with everyone, so that was good. One thing she wrote about was a sad event from her life. These kids have no adult supervision and hard lives. We're only keeping them out of trouble for a few hours but that's a start, I guess. I sure hope tomorrow I get used to the sun and am not so tired afterwards(!) or that it's cooler, by some chance. It is close to 9 PM and just starting to cool off. But I still feel lucky to be here (well, for all kinds of reasons), but right now I'm referring to Houston humidity and the fact that even at 11 PM there it's too humid to really enjoy a good evening stroll.

No comments: