Sunday, June 5, 2005

Well, my bags are packed and I'm ready to go...


Okay, so my bags are only mostly packed but I think I'm ready to go. It's midnight and I've returned from the sweet "Goodnight but not goodbye" party that Marielle threw for me. After having to say goodbye to everyone, I feel all kinds of weird. I mean, how does someone say goodbye to really wonderful friends? But we'll keep in touch and I already know I'll be able to visit in August between internships. Jessica, Rebecca, Ben, Lance, Adam, Linnea, Jacob, Nicolette, Maury, Jenny, Christa, Rachel, Mike, and Danny showed up. I couldn't have any wine but lots of people brought some and there was cheese and snackstuff.


Tomorrow I'm getting up early to have a goodbye breakfast with Rebecca and then drop by the Alley to say goodbye. After that, I rush home, make sure everything's in the car that should be, and by 2 PM by dad and I will be off on one heck of a road trip to Williamstown, Massachusetts. It all feels very surreal but I am getting excited and after a solid year of more free time and reflection time than I've ever had and a laid back schedule, I say Bring It On! :) I realized though I've lived abroad for close to 4 months and in another city for the summer, this is obviously the longest I'll be away from home - I'll get to visit Houston but I'll be living elsewhere for a full year. And it's not like Houston will be my home after that, like when I lived in DC or Spain. Houston is my hometown, but it may never be my home again. This is a permanent change, and that's kinda crazy. It'll be a while before I run into tons of people i know all over the place, like when I go to The Bagel Shop here. But ready or not, here I come. Gonna enjoy the ride... =)

No comments: