I was at the UT pharmacy the other day, sitting around waiting for my prescription to get filled. This observation amused me: the aisles have their placards above to label their offerings such as antacid, vitamins, cough and cold, etc. The next to last aisle read "Candy, condoms" and THAT made me laugh. Not that aisles have to be grouped so all sections go together, but it's an interesting combo.
I finished David Sedaris's [not so] new book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames. I definitely enjoyed it, though I didn't find it as laugh-out-loud funny as Me Talk Pretty One Day or even Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Some essays read too much as unedited journal entries and it was sad to read about his years of drug and alcohol abuse. However, I did find the articles to be as tightly constructed as ever if not more so, with neat ways of wrapping up a story in a clever, almost too perfect ending.
I am presenting my work on my own at a conference in Houston in January! My hour, fifteen minute session at the Texas Educational Theatre Association's (TETA) convention is titled Drama Strategies for the Math Classroom. It's funny, I haven't even been notified by the organization yet unless they sent mail to my home address. I was writing about conferences in a paper for grad school and then realized, I haven't heard back from TETA so if I wasn't selected, I will look silly for mentioning this! So I hopped on their website, found a list of presenters, searched for my name and voila--it was there! I am very excited.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment