Friday, November 21, 2008

Reason Not to Bring Root Beer to Class #402

I decided to treat myself to a bottle of gourmet root beer, which I took to my Educational Psychology class.  Then I took it out of my bag and thought, Wow this looks just like a bottle of beer.  Surely Dr. Svinicki won't think..?  I mentioned this to the student next to me and she said she could tell it was Root Beer and her boyfriend loves the stuff.  So we started talking brands.

Ten minutes into class, my feisty professor paused, said "Amira, that looks an awful lot like you're drinking a beer" and let her voice trail off.  I proceeded to turn red, I'm sure, while holding the bottle towards her and saying "It's root beer! "  Not one to stop the fun too early, she said something about how she can't get tenure if she's caught with a beer drinker student.  (She is department head--well beyond tenure.)

Fast forward to next week's class.  A student jokingly responds to a comment in class, "I'll drink to that."  Dr. Svinicki can't resist the chance: "Speaking of, who brought the beer again last week?"  Me (high protesting voice): "It was root beer!  Root beer!"  Dr. S: "Yeah, I'm never gonna let you live that down."

This story makes me smile.

Random music news: I just got the song "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz and I can't stop listening to it, it makes me so happy!  His voice is like honeyed silk.  Yay for discovering new music.  :)

1 comment:

Natalia Alma said...

I love this story! :)

But you can tell me the truth... you dumped out the root beer and filled it with beer, didn't you?