Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Break

This Thanksgiving break was my first time back home since I left in August after spending the summer at home. The weekend I had planned to come home in September was Hurricane Ike so that didn't happen. All the annual doctor's appointments I'd scheduled had to happen over Thanksgiving instead.

I packed two appointments into one day. At my regular doctor's, my appointment ended in a little room to have my blood taken. Normally, a nurse that I'm used to seeing did it in the room but now it's a woman I'd never met in this creepy small room that I shall call The Blood Room because that is its only purpose. I sat down at the awkward Blood Chair and was promptly asked to hold the phone. The Blood Lady was on the other line and wanted me to let her know if someone ever answered. I wasn't exactly thrilled about this duty but she was going to put a needle to me so whatever she said I'd do. :P So just after she has me prepped and ready, someone comes back on the line. I reluctantly told her and she started talking on the phone AND continuing with me. I'm not big on the routine blood test to begin with, but I was really not keen on her doing it on the phone, then securing the vials one-handed. I was convinced something horrible would happen. But I survived. For this, I am thankful.

Then it was off to the eye doctor to get my eye numbed up so it could be prodded for pressure check, followed by dilation to check my prescription. This time, the guy wasn't on the phone so that was a plus. Nothing else to say about the eye doctor.

The next day, I went to the dentist. The good news is no cavities! The bad news...I found out right before my appointment that the family dog Hershey Kisses was going to be put to sleep. When I came home from the appointment, she was gone.

I'd only gotten home the day before, and my parents had just had blood work done for her to see what was the matter. She'd been throwing up, losing weight, and was looking jaundiced--her belly was all yellow. I got to cuddle her that night but her eyes looked all weird and she was so lightweight. I petted her and she talked to me, little breathing noises she makes when she is uncomfortable and wants to tell me about it. She really is trying to communicate, I believe it, because I've been gone and she has to catch me up. Last time she was hurt, she did the same thing when I got home.

The next morning, I held her before my appointment. Her eyes were watery like she was crying. Can dogs cry? I'm not sure, but it was sad. When I left, I kissed her goodbye just in case.

When I got home, I found out it had been liver failure and there was nothing to be done. At least she didn't suffer. And she was 12 years old, so she'd lived a long time.

It's weird being home without a dog that you're used to. I guess I'm lucky that I wasn't home for a while so it isn't as hard for me. But the past few days, I'd keep expecting to see her from the corner of my eye on the couch or underfoot...and she simply wasn't there. I'm definitely going to miss my strange, unique little dog.

Kisses had tons of energy--Marielle and I once were bored enough to count home many times she could jump nonstop in front of the window and she exceeded 100. When she got puppy rage, she would run through the house and then throw herself, hard, against the back door while making funny dog noises. She likes to sleep in my clothes hamper and she let me dress her up in clothes. My favorite outfit for her was a Harley Davidson black jacket and matching hat. Also as a puppy, she liked to hide under beds and stick just her long nose out. If you got too close, she'd draw it under completely or play bite. When it rained outside, she liked to jump and bite at it. She was also prissy in that she wouldn't sit all the way on her butt when told to sit while she was outside. When asked to sit before eating dinner, her teeth would chatter and she's back away in nervous anticipation. She liked to go through grocery bags and when they'd get stuck on her nose it was quite funny. Once, she got an entire piece of brie from the groceries and ate it before we'd realized it. She loved cheese in general and, oddly enough, bread. If we had it close to the edge of the countertop, she'd jump up and down and stand on her hind legs to get a better view, then sit and bark at it. She was a good dog.

As it is Thanksgiving time, I reminded myself despite this sad loss that I have much to be thankful for, and that I should focus on that. I got to spend quality time with my awesome parents, celebrate my dad's and uncle's birthday, play Wii with my dad, Spades with my parents, see some friends. Good times. I also noticed the new David Sedaris book in my parents' bookshelf and snatched it up. My mom then grabbed it and tried to run it to her bedroom -it was meant to be my Chanukah present and autographed - but I was determined to claim what I'd already found. I've enjoyed reading it so far!

I enjoyed seeing family over the break. I saw my twin cousins and Jacqueline and Adam's sweet baby, Madison. Then over Thanksgiving, I played with cousins Valerie and Brent's baby, Megan, and she counted to seven by herself. She is around a year and a half. Also during Thanksgiving, I saw my uncles and aunt and more cousins. I also went out to The Woodlands to see still more cousins, two of which have a sweet six month old, Sammy, also very cute. We all played a card game I'd never played before, Golf.

Now, I'm back in Austin to finish off the semester. I'm tired, but am so close to my final semester. One shorter paper, one longer paper, thesis work and writing...and then I head to the home stretch. It's a long stretch...but I'm plodding along. :)

2 comments:

Emily Gilliam said...

A dog who enjoys brie and bread is pretty spacial, and very fun. Love the stories, especially how she wouldn't sit all the way down when outside. I'm sorry you'll be missing her.

(And the needle/phone story is so wrong!)

Amira said...

I'm glad you liked the stories, thanks for reading about her! :)